December 31, 2016

Happy New Year in Paris

I'm not in Paris, but I was earlier this year. I thought I'd close out 2016 by posting one of the best parts of the year. We took a two-week trip to Paris and did as little as possible. I filled a sketchbook, but just picked a few favorites to share.

Here's one from the park around the corner.


I like to make really unhelpful maps of the places I visit.


Our first full day included a trip to the Pompidou followed by a lovely leisurely dinner around the corner at a charming restaurant.


I took a fat pen and it was so freeing!




Spent about an hour standing on the Pont Neuf looking at the Seine.


We also spent several hours at the Musee d'Orsay. This painting, Manet's Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe, is the whole reason I wanted to go back to Paris. I needed to put my eyes on it again. So I spent about 40 minutes with it. It is magnificent.


More fat pen sketches - little kids at the Louvre.



Useless map with amazing tree at the Cimetière du Montparnasse.


Anniversary dinner.


Useless map from our last day in Paris. We walked to Shakespeare and Company and had an amazing lunch at a Basque restaurant then strolled past Notre Dame on the way back to our apartment. It was a magical day and a magical trip.

I hope your 2017 is magical.



No comments:

Sketchwork Moved!

Please visit Sketchwork at  elizabethalley.com/sketchwork . After 12 years with Blogger, I am incorporating my blog into my website becaus...