May 22, 2013

Studio Night Last Night: Gamblin Paints

I met the good folks at Gamblin Artist Oil's Colors at the NAMTA trade show (took a brief break from looking for Urban Sketchers sponsors to visit my favorite paint company) earlier this month. They showed me all of their new colors, talked me into switching to Gamsol and Galkyd Lite (easy!), and then sent me their new colors and their new Solvent Free Gel.


Last night was Studio Night, so I grabbed my favorite palette knife and went to work.


This is Cadmium Chartreuse, Nickel Titanate Yellow and Green Gold.


Titanium Buff, Portland Warm Grey and Portland Cool Grey.


Warm White and Cool White on the bottom, with my regular Titanium White up top.


The Titanium Buff is yellowish, the Portland Warm Grey is reddish and the Portland Cool Grey is blueish, so I mixed up an orange, purple and green. Lovely muted colors!


I mixed the Warm White and Cool White with Ultramarine Blue - look at the difference!


The bottom right is Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White for comparison.


Then I mixed the Ultramarine Blue + Warm White with the orangey color to get this beautiful grey. Normally I would mix up a regular orange with ultramarine to get a nice brown, then mix more ultramarine to get a nice black (no, I can't just mix orange and lots of ultramarine, I have to do it twice), then I would mix a little of it into Titanium White to get a grey like this.

Below this is the Solvent Free Gel.


Here's the whole shebang.


I had a big piece of gessoed paper tinted with a bit of acrylic sitting around, so I started playing with an image from Spain that I've been toying with. I used that grey first, then started in with the orangey color.


Titanium Buff is a great color for sheep! It's hard to make out, but the Warm White is to the lower left of the sheep butt.



Look at the difference in the greys and blues. That one bit of warm grey in the center: blam!

I enjoyed using the Solvent Free Gel, but I wasn't sure if I was using too much or too little. I tended to want to use more. I liked it more when I also used a touch of solvent (Gamsol) with the gel because I could get more coverage and movement out of the paint. But alone it made the paint so creamy and lovely. I even used just the solvent to blur the edges of some of the paint.




This is how I left the painting for the night, because I wanted to try these paints on a tiny painting. Not sure where I want to take this, as it's a bit different than what I've been doing lately. But I've been wanting to make a series about my last trip to Spain before my next trip to Spain, so I think these paints might help.



No comments:

Sketchwork Moved!

Please visit Sketchwork at  elizabethalley.com/sketchwork . After 12 years with Blogger, I am incorporating my blog into my website becaus...