December 16, 2014

What I Talk About When I Talk About Sketching

I was invited to give a talk about sketching to art students at Arlington High School. I just love to talk about sketching, and show examples, and demonstrate materials, so that is what I did today.

Each of the students received either a black Faber Castell Pitt artist pen (fine), or a black Pigma Micron 05, and a grey Faber Castell Pitt artist pen (brush). I went to the Art Center and tested them all out, then bought them out of grey pens.


Studio night, playing with the pens.


Grey in front, black in back, for a change.


This morning my makeup and jewelry made a nice tableau.


I took half of today off, and finished putting my presentation together at lunch. I could have continued to tweak it and add images FOREVER. I talked about myself and my (long) history with sketching, and then gave them some things to think about while sketching (like layers and mark-making), and showed examples from so many of the great sketchers out there.

I had to get to the school early, because apparently there is really bad traffic when school lets out (this was an after-school event). So while I was waiting, of course I sketched!


After my presentation the students asked tons of great questions, then we all looked through my sketchbooks, and I demonstrated some of my sketching materials. After we handed out the pens, most of them sat down and started working in their sketchbooks. Success!


1 comment:

thatericguy said...

Nice work! How lucky for those students to get to experience your enthusiasm and passion for sketching. I am betting the impression you left will stick with many of them for a long time.

Sketchwork Moved!

Please visit Sketchwork at  elizabethalley.com/sketchwork . After 12 years with Blogger, I am incorporating my blog into my website becaus...