May 03, 2011

Sketching Life

Over the past 3 Thursdays I taught a class for the first time. The class, Sketching Life, was offered at Flicker Street Studio, where I had already taken two great classes.

The goals of the class were to get students in the habit of carrying and using a sketchbook, and basically to draw more.

In the first class we talked a lot about what sketching is, and the students did several very quick sketches as they got to know their sketchbooks.






















In the next class, we discussed perspective and spent more time on sketching larger areas.






















For the last class, we went outside and sketched the area around the studio from direct observation.

















Then we went back inside and practiced the social aspects of sketching, as we sat around a table sketching each other. Here's my sketch:

2 comments:

vicki said...

Thanks for the great class Elizabeth! I have my sketch book with me on vacation. Today I did a quick sketch at a fort in St Augustine and last night I did 2 sketches at the restaurant!! And also sketched at the Atlanta Botanical Garden! Yea for me! Couldn't have done it without you.

Memphis Urban Sketchers said...

Yay - I'm so proud of you for going out and sketching in public! Keep up the good work!

Sketchwork Moved!

Please visit Sketchwork at  elizabethalley.com/sketchwork . After 12 years with Blogger, I am incorporating my blog into my website becaus...